The service coordinator works with part-time line servers and part-time dining room attendants to set up, operate, close, and clean food counters, deli, grill, and self-service stations in the dining hall service and seating areas. The service coordinator interacts directly with Dickinson College students and serves as ambassadors of the college for students and other guests. The incumbent ensures timely, friendly, clean, and safe delivery of food to customers while demonstrating positivity and warmth from the time the guest arrives to the time the guest departs.
- Reviews with kitchen culinary staff, cold-foods staff (salad department), and bakers the menus, allergen information, serving locations, portion sizes, garnish, and serving utensils before serving line and dining hall opens. Shares information with supporting co-workers assigned to line service or dining room service.
- Serves food and controls serving size portions according to guidelines established by Dining Services while understanding the concept of all-you-care-to eat; balances customer desires with production limitations: will limit servings if and only when kitchen production cannot keep up with demand; and ensures self-serve islands and bars are maintained with fresh, attractive product in clean and neat service areas. Assists in training other employees to complete this essential function. Works in line areas or in dining room as dictated by customer traffic or as directed by management.
- Presents self and service counters, seating areas, and all self-service devices in a neat, orderly, clean, and sanitary fashion.
- Helps shift supervisor or student-supervisor train casual employees in the performance of counter and self-serve station set-ups.
- Prepares menu signs, sets out line cards, and verifies labeling of allergens, dietary traits such as vegan foods by working with the brand manager or office support staff. Supports salad bar, dessert, bar, grains and sauce bar, and gluten-free stations.
- Answers all customer questions about menu items found throughout the dining hall; collaborates with chefs and others if unsure of answers.